Monday, August 8, 2011

If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them

I got up this morning at 7am and from about 8am on, Addis has been crying off and on all day.  Nothing seems to make him happy today. 

He cries if the dog kisses him, he cries if his Lightning McQueen car gets stuck in a corner and he can't turn it around, he cries because he's standing on his Laugh and Learn chair and doesn't know how to get down.  You get the picture.  He's obviously over tired and when he's tired he gets very clumsy so of course we have more tumbles and head bumps from him walking around with his car today. 

Addis also wouldn't go down for a nap.  I had to fight for hours to get him down and once he was down he didn't sleep soundly. Normally once he's asleep he's a pretty sound sleeper but not today.  Every little sound would disturb him, so of course today is the day the dogs decide to bark at every little sound themselves.

I went to my gym today to cancel my memebership.  I haven't been in almost 4 months.  There just doesn't seem to be the time to go, but more importantly there just doesn't seem to be the money while I'm on parental leave.  However, giving up my membership felt a little like defeat in the constant weight lose battle.

We have been eating pretty crummy food lately.  I haven't felt like cooking and with moving we've been busy.  Today I decided that I was going to take the time to cook a nice homemade nutritious meal for Brian and I.  After spending an hour and a half at the stove, I ended up with an overly seasoned burnt meal.  For some reason the carrots wouldn't cook and the last time I made this meal Brian complained that it was too bland.  In an effort to make sure if had plenty of flavour, I obviously used too much seasoning and trying to get the carrots to cook, I left it on the stove too long so it started to burn.

Neither my breakfast or lunch was very enjoyable today so I had high hopes for dinner.  At breakfast Addis kept trying to grab my protein shake because it looked like his formula and he liked my cup better then his bottle.  At lunch it took me over an hour to finish my soup because he kept getting into things and needed some comforting when he cried.  Needless to say the soup was cold by the time I finished.   When I sat down to eat my burnt, overly seasoned meal and Addis started screaming and crying, again for no apparent reason, I decided that in some cases it's best to just accept that if you can't beat them, you might as well join them.  So I put my fork down and sat at the table and had a really good cry.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a rough day. Here's hoping Addis gets a good nights sleep tonight and is a different boy tomorrow. Take care of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, that DOES sound like a nasty kind of day. I wish I could pop over and give you a hug and bring you a cup of hot chocolate. I also wish we lived closer so that we could cry TOGETHER on these kinds of days!

    I hope tomorrow is a better day! I'll be thinking of you.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Angela! I have had those moments of crying too...sometimes you just need to get it out. I keep telling myself Ade won't remember me sitting on the floor sobbing.

    Could he be teething or having some growing pains? Or maybe he just woke up on the wrong side of the crib.

    I feel your pain and send you big hugs of empathy.

    ReplyDelete