Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Looking On The Bright Side

Last week was a really tough week for us.  Things were very sad and frustrating.  Dare I say, things are starting to look like they are turning around.

I started to feel a little better Friday night when I saw our DHL package with the bank draft was onroute to Nairobi.  Knowing that money was on it's way gave me a little glimmer of hope that our delay would only be a small blip.

Saturday morning I woke up knowing I would see my best friend.  FINALLY.  After 2.5 years we were going to see each other.  I could not wait to see her!  I had to run out and pick something up for my mom and when I got back from the grocery store, there she was.  I parked the car, jumped out and ran right over.  Oh, the hugs!  I think we hugged for a few minutes.  It was seriously the best medicine.  I think a little Hope goes a long way.  We didn't get very long together but Hope & Allen drove 8 hours to be with Brian & I and they were only able to stay for 24 hours.  Brian & I consider ourselves very lucky to have such wonderful friends.  Not only did they drive that far for such a short timeframe, but this was the first time they left their little girl overnight.  That's love!

I also woke up knowing that tis was the day of our baby shower.  We were going to have roughly 55 guest.  It was a co-ed shower complete with kids.  Brian & I were once again reminded that we are surrounded by people who love and support us.  Our son is one very lucky little boy who is loved by so many people.  We got some very thoughtful gifts such as handmade sweaters & blankets that you just know a lot of time & love went into making.  We also got some really fun things that I can imagine Addis playing with.  Discovering colours and sounds for the first time.  Ooooo, I can hardly wait!

I went out Saturday night with my girlfriends and had a great time.  I got to blow off some steam which is exactly what I needed.  Some of the nights events I'll talk about in my Confession Friday post.  I danced, laughed, had some drinks, had a good time and not that I needed it, but I was reminded that I have really great girlfriends.  We got home after 2am.

We sold our house last night.  The sale is 100% final as it was a cash offer with no conditions.  The SOLD sign is already up.  The house went on the market Friday and was sold by Monday night.  Thank goodness because although we'd only had a few days of showings, it was starting to get a bit stressful.  Trying to keep the house spotlessly clean and dog hair free was becoming a full time job.  Plus I felt like I was spending more time hiding out at my parents, while people were looking at our house, then I did hanging out at my own place.

We sat down last night and came up with a plan.  Our visa won't be in Ethiopia until next Friday at the earliest (unless we get a miracle) so I think we will be leaving on the 12th of May and I will stay with Addis until we are able to come home.  I feel better knowing we have a plan.  Knowing that in just a short time I will be with my son and have him in my arms again.  I will miss Mother's Day but I know that going this week in order to be with him is the sentimental plan, not the best plan logically & financially speaking.  I will celebrate Mother's Day privately at home this Sunday, and then again the following week when we are actually together.  Then every day after that will be Sandau Family day because we will be a forever family and those are the important days.

Today I woke up to notification that our DHL package was delievered to the High Commission and signed for by James.  I pray, hope & wish that they will process our payment right away and issue our visa so we can just get our son home as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on selling your house. Enjoy packing and wishing your visa will be in Addis very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good plan! And you know every day will be mother's day when you have Addis! Congrats on selling your house.
    Happy travels

    Maria

    ReplyDelete