Friday, October 7, 2011

Confession Friday - Thanksgiving Edition

I confess I am truly grateful this Thanksgiving. 

I confess the last few years of holidays have been very difficult and for the first time in years I am finally looking forward to a holiday and won't have to plaster a phony smile on my face to hide the pain.  No more fake it till you make it.  A genuine holiday smile will be on my face.

I'm very excited to have Addis home to share with him our holiday traditions and to start a few new ones.

I confess we have a very busy weekend ahead of us.

I confess that Saturday we will go to Grand Bend and spend the day with Brian's parents.  We always have our Thanksgiving dinner with them on Saturday.  They camp at the Scout Camp in Grand Bend with some friends and everyone gets together for dinner.  There is turkey and mashed potatoes and each family provides a side dish or dessert potluck style.  It's so peaceful up there.  It is probably our dogs favourite place to be. 

I confess that I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner for my family.  Since we now have a bigger house, we can comfortably accomodate people on holidays.  I am excited to cook the turkey.  It will only be my second attempt.

I confess I love stuffing.  So much in fact that I once stabbed my brother's hand with my fork for trying to steal my stuffing.  Luckily I didn't do any damage and it's now a running family joke.  Ange doesn't share stuffing!

I confess I am really thankful for the beautiful weather we will be having for the next 5 days.  The tempurature will be in the 20's.  Apparently those are record tempuratures for October.

I confess that since the weather will be so nice I will be taking Addis to the local Thanksgiving parade.

I confess this is a big deal for me because I'm terrified of clowns and NEVER go anywhere that I know I will see a clown.  However, I don't want my fears to be projected on Addis so I will just have to find my big girl panties.  Addis loves seeing lots of people and music so this should be right up his alley.

I confess that after the parade we are going to take Addis to Oktoberfest Family Day.  I have very fond memories of going to Family Day with my parents and siblings.  I think my favourite memory is dancing the polka with my dad.  I am so happy to carry on this family tradition.

I confess that my mom started a family tradition a few years ago where we go around the table and say what we are thankful for.  I will continue this tradition at my table.  And this year when it's my turn I will say that I am thankful for my dogs who love me unconditionally, my family who stood by me in completing our adoption, my husband who is my very best friend and my son who is pure joy.

Happy Thanksgiving!  May you all have something to be thankful for.  


No comments:

Post a Comment